Sunday, May 7
CLICK HERE TO LISTEN TO MEETING PODCAST
– Introduction to XChange Radio Meeting
– Joanne Hodgeman: Recently started the Minnesota chapter Foster Care Alumni of America (board is made up of all former foster youth). Collaborating with Connections to Independence (c2i), which is an organizations that works with foster youth up to the age of 25. c2i has a Kentucky Derby fundraiser they hold every year. Currently sitting on a Parents Leadership Board started by some members of the state House of Representatives and on the NAACP Child Protection taskforce. Also working on partnerships that work on ICWA placements. The native community has been one of the most impacted by foster care. Working on building relationships in the ICWA community. Currently Minnesota does not pay kinship families near the same rate as regular foster parents.
– Elena Taylor received Certificate of Appreciation for participation in Annual “Stash the Trash Great American Cleanup” in Albany, GA. Also chosen for Congress Shadow Day.
– Sunshine Peterman: Trying to Start an Indiana Chapter for Foster Care Alumni of America; Adopted 5 Children from the Indiana Foster Care System. Went into foster care at 17.
– Jamie Akins: Discussed Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Wants to encourage people to get treatment for CPTSD before it gets worse.
– Mark Clark: Senator Bell advised that there is a bill in the State Senate that expands foster care age from 21 to 24.
– Kathy Jones: Wanted to speak about Bruce Wagnitz creating the National Schoolhouse of Theatre Arts, with trauma-informed teachers. Bruce is trying to advocate for policy that will help foster youth go across state lines for school.
Please click here to get more information about our XChange Radio Meetings.